Get the most for your energy dollars by doing a little cleaning.
1) Clean door seals on your refrigerator and freezer and oven to prevent leaks. Replace seals that are loose, cracked or torn. One way to check for tight sealing gaskets is to close the door on a dollar bill- if you can easily pull out the dollar, you may need to replace the door gasket.
2) Unplug your refrigerator and carefully vacuum or dust dirty condenser coils.
3) Replace disposable filters on your air conditioner or heat pump, or hose down permanent filters every month or two, as recommended by manufacturer.
4) Clean lint and dust from the outside condenser coils of your a/c or heat pump by spraying them with a detergent and water solution and hosing them down.
5) Clean a/c equipment and vents of indoor and outdoor obstructions, such as furniture, weeds and debris.
6) Dust or vacuum fans to make sure they work properly.
7) Remove built-up lint and dust from the clothes dryer exhaust duct, the outside dryer exhaust terminal, the back of the dryer itself and behind the lint screen.